Sunday, February 8, 2009

Chinese New Year!

So, it's no secret that I'm not a New York girl. I'm learning, slowly, but surely. But, it's still not my all time favorite place to reside. However, as noted in my New Years Goals, I'm trying to put out a worthy effort to make that change. I promised to attempt fun New York things, that can only be done in New York, to get myself to see that maybe it's not half bad on this East Coast side of things.

Of late, we've gone to the New York City Ballet, (I got free tickets from work), eaten at a bar that gives you FREE pizza with each and every beverage purchase, seriously, a free whole pizza, with each $4 beer. This, was a pretty damn good deal. I'm taking a pretty awesome photography class, and most recently, attending the Chinese New Year's parade in Chinatown.

The ballet was a good time. We felt cultured for the evening. It was four parts, each part a very different ballet. The first one was super modern, a little too interpretive dance for me. They seemed to get better as they went on. However, I'm going to have to comment on the 4th section. I understand that male dancers dance in tights. (side note, what are male ballerinas called??) I have no issues or qualms about this. However, in the final part of the ballet, the male dancers were costumed in flesh colored tights, with little suit jackets. All of us (myself, alex and my co-worker and her boyfriend) agreed that this likely wasn't the best possible option. I swear I'm a cultured individual, but, I couldn't help it, these men looked pants-less. It was very distracting, to say the least.

The free pizza. Well, that was just awesome. If you come visit me, I will take you. Promise.

Photography class will be discussed with photos in the next post.

Chinese New Year! This was a great afternoon. It was a gorgeous day which made it all the better. Alex and I took the J train out to Chinatown and enjoyed the crowds and the confetti. I don't think I've ever seen more confetti. It was SO very festive, we both loved it. The streets were packed, not just with Chinese, but all types of people to watch the festivities. I had never been that deep into Chinatown, it was really interesting. It wasn't just the cheesy shops selling everything under the sun, but reminded me somewhat instead of the streets of Cholon in Ho Chi Minh City. Full of life and rich with culture.
















1 comment:

goldiebear said...

I want free pizza! I think I should come just for that.