Friday, June 18, 2010

Mixed Grains and Veggies!

Earlier this week my lovely friend Andrea sent me a tasty looking recipe involving farro, lemon and dill. It looked like a great dish that would be light and easy, perfect for a warm summer night.

I went out on my lunch break and picked up my veggies at the farmers market and headed into Whole Foods to try and find some farro. Much to my dismay, the little tiny package was $10! That's a little too rich for me. I hung my head and left disappointed, figuring I'd have to come up with something else to make. However, much to my happy surprise, walking back through the green market I found out farro was actually half the price for much more at the awesome Cayuga Pure Organics stand and I snagged some after all.

DSC_0011
My tub of farro, a tasty, slightly nutty grain.

I used Andrea's recipe as a basic guide and then went from there. It was delicious and made for a great dinner and lunch the next day! The fresh dill really makes the dish and I can imagine so many different variations of this! We will certainly be making more dishes with farro!

Mixed Grains with Veggies and Feta:

3/4 C Farro
1/2 C Quinoa
1 Zucchini
1 Onion
4 cloves minced garlic
1/2 C or so chopped sugar snap peas
1/2 C or a little more chopped carrot
1/4 C chopped fresh dill
1/8 C chopped fresh chives
Juice of one lemon
crumbled feta

(The vegetable measurements are just a guess, you could certainly add more, I really didn't measure mine)

In a medium sauce pan bring 1.5 Cups of water to boil, add farro. Reduce heat and cover. Let it simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20-30 minutes until the water has been absorbed. Bring one cup of water to boil with the quinoa, cover, reduce heat and simmer until the water is absorbed, about 10 minutes or so.

In a deep skillet saute your onion, carrots and garlic with a bit of olive oil until the onions are well softened. Add your zucchini and snap peas and cook a bit more. Once everything is done to your liking, add in the quinoa and farro and mix everything together. Add the juice of your lemon and then stir in the dill and chives. Serve topped with crumbled feta.

DSC_0005

1 comment:

Kate said...

looks SUPER tasty. I might nab this recipe from you :)