Monday, June 21, 2010

Adventures in Gluten Free Baking

Part of the joys of having a car in New York City is that you have to move it every few days for street sweeping. (Which I think is HUGE scam by the city, but that's another thing entirely) Anyhow, as we were going to Peru for a couple weeks, we needed to find someone who could help us out moving the car around every few days. This happens to be more difficult then one might think for Alex and I as my car is a stick shift, and silly Americans don't tend to know how to drive it. I posted a plea on facebook hoping that I could find someone who would be able and willing, and luckily my old co-worker Shawn said he would help us out!

I had offered the driver tasty home baked treats as a reward. However, Shawn was on a strict gluten free diet, doctors orders. I'm not normally a fan of the gluten free craze, but I figured I would make an exception just this once. :-)

After scouring the internet for recipes, I came up with two that sounded tasty, Alton Brown's Gluten Free Chewy Chocolate Chip and the Gluten Free Goddess Dark Chocolate Brownie.

Both of these recipes required that I buy a bunch of crazy flours and new ingridients, xanthan gum one of the stranger in my opinion. However, much to my enormous surprise, they worked out!

DSC_0009

I have to say, if you fall into the category of wanting to attempt to bake gluten free, both of these recipes were really good and got rave reviews!

I will likely stick to my normal flour baking, but, if you're feeling adventurous, give them a try!

DSC_0013

DSC_0016B
(The cookies did expand quite a bit and were a bit tricky to get off the sheet at first)

No comments: