Sunday, May 2, 2010

Tasty Croquettes

When perusing recipes I know there are some key words that generally tend to interest my husband. I could literally make anything utilizing chipotle mayo, mesquite, aioli, and a few others, and he'll be game. Now, mind you he couldn't actually tell you what mesquite tastes like, but will order it any time it's on a menu. Guaranteed. Peanut sauce tends to be one of those items. Thus, when I saw the title of Tempeh-Potato Croquettes with Spicy Peanut Sambal, I thought I might have a winner.

The last time I made croquettes it was from the Cafe Brenda cookbook, and these also hail from the same. I have never cooked with tempeh before, nor have I ever made a sambal, but it didn't look too complicated, so I went for it.


I wasn't sure how hard it would be to find the tempeh, but it was right at Trader Joe's this afternoon, so I figured I had to give it a shot. For those who don't know, tempeh is a super veggie food of sorts, made from soy beans, brown rice, barely and millet. It has tons of protein among other good stuff. I was a little scared when I opened the package, it doesn't look very appetizing, but I figured it was worth a shot.

DSC_7643
As a side note, I love how ridiculously hippy the packaging is. I think they know who they're marketing too. However, I recommend giving this stuff a try, as far as protein bang for buck, you can't really get better then this. It was about $1.69 or so, for 20 grams of protein per serving.

DSC_7645
Not looking too appetizing right out of the package...

DSC_7646
After frying with some garlic and spices.

DSC_7648
Carrots and scallions in the pan.

DSC_7649
Sizzling in the skillet, starting to look a bit tastier.

DSC_7652

Tempeh Potato Croquettes with Spicy Peanut Sambal
Adapted from the Cafe Brenda Cookbook


Spicy Peanut Sambal
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded (The recipe calls for two green chilies, I only added one)
4 garlic cloves
1 cup roasted peanuts
1 TBS soy sauce
juice of one lime
3 TBS raisins
1 TBS honey

Put all ingredients in a food processor and grind into a chunky paste.

Croquettes
6 medium to small potatoes (2 cups mashed) (I used baby red potatoes, skin on)
oil for frying
1 8 oz tempeh cake
1.5 TBS minced garlic
1 tsp dried coriander
1 tsp dried cumin
1 cup grated carrot
1 cup minced scallion
salt and pepper to taste
1 egg, beaten
2 TBS chopped parsley

Boil potatoes until tender, drain and mash. Set aside.

Heat a couple TBS of oil in a skillet. Cut the tempeh cake into 4 pieces. Saute over medium heat a few minutes until golden brown. Turn the tempeh and add garlic, coriander, and cumin. You may need to add a bit more oil. Keep stirring and saute for a few more minutes. Transfer the mixtue to a large mixing bowl. When it's cool, crumble the tempeh. Your hands and fingers work just fine for this.

Heat a bit more oil and saute carrots and scallions for 1-2 minutes.

Combine 2 cups mashed potatoes, tempeh, and veggies. Add salt and pepper, egg, and parsley. Stir well until smooth and blended.

Form into patties about 3 inches in size. Saute in vegetable oil until golden brown on both sides. Serve with spicy peanut sambal.

DSC_7657
YUM!

These were absolutely delicious and very filling!! Both Alex and I loved them. The peanut sambal alone is worth making these for! We served them with brown rice and fresh, local roasted asparagus. A beautiful healthy, (and bargain priced!) dinner enjoyed by all! I will for sure be making these again.

No comments: