Thursday, February 4, 2010

Tunisian Potato Omelet

I am somewhat of a library fiend. I love getting my books for free and not having to keep them around to pack in boxes when we move. (Hint, hint to husband with books overflowing upon books... :-) ) Upon moving to New York and taking the subway everywhere, I also now read a TON.

For some bizarre reason I never realized that I could get cookbooks from the library. Having recently discovered this moving to our new neighborhood, I couldn't be more excited to try all kinds of fun new recipes. I enjoy finding recipes online, but something about paging through a cookbook is much more fun. The only problem is many of my own cookbooks are well loved (re: splattered with sauce), so I just have to be sure to be more careful with the library versions. (Maybe I do need one of these crazy things from our old wedding registry...)

Anyhow, in my quest to cook more vegetarian, (mostly as a money saving venture in keeping CAFO meat out of our kitchen, I still love a good Medium Rare steak, don't get me wrong), I've come across the Moosewood series, and am having a good time perusing their tasty recipes.

The following is from their Simple Suppers book, and it was delicious. I didn't have much in the kitchen but eggs and potatoes, and this made for a fantastic filling meal both Alex and I loved. It is very similar to Tortilla Espanola, a dish both of us had regularly on our adventures in Spain.

Please note that I didn't have ground caraway in my kitchen at the time, so I left it out. I'm not quite sure how this would taste with it, as I have no idea what caraway is like.

Moosewood Restaurant
Simple Suppers For the Weeknight Table

Spicy Tomato Sauce
1 TBS Olive Oil
4 Garlic Cloves, minced
.5 - 1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp ground caraway (We didn't have this, so I left it out)
1 tsp ground coriander
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes

Omelet
2 TBS olive oil
1.5 cups diced onions
2 tsp ground caraway
2 tsp ground coriander
2 cups diced potatoes
6 eggs
1/4 Cup plus 2 TBS of water
1/3 - 1/2 C grated parmesan or pecorino romano cheese

For the Sauce:
Saute your garlic in olive oil for a few minutes, add the tomatoes and spices and simmer on low, stirring occasionally while you cook the omelet. Be careful you don’t overcook it, if it gets to be more then 10 or 15 minutes, just turn off the heat and leave the sauce covered.

For the omelet:
Saute your onions in oil in a large skillet for a few minutes until tender. Add potatoes and spices and cook 3-5 minutes. While the potatoes are cooking, scramble 6 eggs with 2 TBS water. Add your eggs to the pan and mix carefully to distribute evenly. Once the eggs begin to set, loosen it from the sides of the pan and tilt the skillet so the uncooked eggs flow underneath and around and begin to cook as well. Once the omelet firms up, sprinkle the top with cheese, cover, and cook a few more minutes until the cheese is melted. Cut into slices and serve topped with sauce.


DSC_5173B

No comments: