Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Quinoa Stew

I saw the recipe for Peruvian Quinoa Stew on Liz's Cooking Blog a week or so ago and knew it looked like something I'd like to make. I'm a big fan of quinoa, especially after Ecuador, and this just looked like a great combination of flavors.

DSC_0034B

This was delicious! And, it came together super fast! I followed Liz's recipe for the most part, though I was lacking coriander, so omitted it and added the following: an extra garlic clove, 1 potato diced (I cooked mine beforehand in the microwave as I was afraid it wouldn't cook all the way), 1/3 - 1/2 C or so of cooked black beans, and a little more then a dash of cayenne. I used probably more like 1.5 C of broth as well. Also, the tomatoes I used were "fire roasted" with green chilies according to the Trader Joes label. I think this added a little extra heat and smokiness to the stew, which was great. The overall flavor had a good kick, but nothing too overly spicy. We enjoyed ours topped with a little cheese and a healthy dollop of sour cream.

No comments: