Saturday, August 29, 2009

Tasty Friday Dinner

Another great local dinner!

Friday night Alex and I stayed in and cooked, and I was really pleased with the results. I had picked up a chicken earlier in the week, and decided Friday would be a good a day as any to roast it up. (As a side note, I got my chicken from a vendor that goes by the name Bacon Hypnosis. If there ever was a time that you should buy something from someone just for their name, I think this might be one of those times! Apparently they also raise a few chickens along with their signature item.)

I had gotten a pretty small chicken as I wasn't sure how much it was going to cost me, but this guy had plenty of meat for both Alex and I for dinner, and leftovers that I'll make soup and stock with.

Roast Chicken:

I cleaned the bird in warm water, then rubbed him all over with olive oil and put it in a glass baking dish. Then I stuffed him with some yellow onion, a few garlic cloves, which I also placed under the wings and legs, and some chopped celery. Then I sprinkled it with rosemary, thyme, oregano, and garlic powder.

We roasted it in the oven for about 1 hour and maybe 20 minutes at 350 degrees, until the thickest part was about 170-180 degrees. I took it out after 30 minutes and then every 15 or so to baste it with the drippings and some melted butter.

DSC_1219B

The chicken was moist and tender and smelled almost like Thanksgiving. YUM!

While the chicken was roasting, I also put 3 ears of corn in the oven for about 30-40 minutes and these also turned out delicious!

DSC_1230

As a side, I decided to give Pioneer Woman's Red Pepper Risotto a try, and it was a winner for sure. The last risotto I made was much too heavy. This one was just the right amount of creaminess and went great with the chicken and corn on the cob. I made it according to her recipe, with about 1/2 C of Parmesan and a TBS or two of goat cheese.

I also made a tasty salad to start things off, fresh arugula, red and yellow cherry tomatoes, with goat cheese tossed in a balsamic vinaigrette.

The dressing was super easy to make, mix your olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a 3-1 ratio (I did 3 TBS Olive Oil and 1 TBS vinegar and had leftover) a bit of dijon mustard (I used 1/4 tsp), a pinch of sea salt, pepper, and a little pinch of sugar.

DSC_1221

I loved this salad, arugula has so much more flavor then lettuce and the goat cheese went together perfectly with everything!

No comments: