Monday, July 6, 2009

Shakshooka!

A few weeks ago, Alex and I were wandering around the Hell's Kitchen area in search of something to eat. We were looking for a place that looked tasty, cute, and not expensive. Our 3 general requirements for a good find.

Luckily, after a few blocks we came upon Hummus Kitchen, and it fit the bill exactly! This place was super tiny, but very cute on the inside. Upon looking over the menu, I immediately noticed a dish I had never heard before, Shakshooka. What in the world is that?

Alex decided to be brave and ordered it up. A short while later his dinner came out sizzling in a skillet and looking mighty tasty. I quickly became pretty jealous I hadn't ordered the same! It was delicious! It turns out Shakshooka is a middle eastern dish, Israeli by most website accounts... though some will disagree and say it's Pakastani or Syrian.

After we got home, I googled a bunch of recipes, and discovered this Shakshooka stuff wasn't hard to make and that I would definitely give it a shot! Mostly, I was just looking for any excuse to say Shakshooka as many times as possible, because, for real, how fun is it to say!

DSC_0116

I had bought some eggs fresh from the farmers market last week, so decided this would be a good meal to showcase them. I started with this recipe I'd found online, as it sounded the closest to what we'd had in the restaurant, and went from there!


I followed the cooking directions pretty much exactly but my ingredient list was as follows:

Ingredients:
1 red pepper and 1 green pepper
A bit of olive oil
1 medium yellow onion
3 cloves of garlic
6 ripe tomatoes (I used smallish medium ones)
5 eggs
1 jalepeno chili, seeded
2 tbs (about) of tomato paste
1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
1 tsp. of sweet paprika
Salt and pepper (according to taste)
A bit of garlic powder

DSC_0118

Overall this was a fairly simple and extremely healthy meal. The flavors are delicious and it made just the right amount to fill Alex and I both up. I had wanted to make my own pita bread as well, but that would have been too time consuming. Just make sure you have some sort of bread to go along with it!

DSC_0123B

YUM!

DSC_0128B

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is one of my go-to places on seamless web at work! So great that you found it on your own. I also love the shakshuka -- it is what I always get (along with yummy hummus of course).