Monday, June 29, 2009

An All Local Affair

So I've never really been against the local food movement. In fact, I think I've always thought it's a pretty neat thing. However, it's not until recently that I've really gotten into the whole idea and grasped the importance of it.

It's odd to me that living in New York, as far as possible from the rolling green pastures of farm land, I've become much more attached to the idea of eating local, sustainable food. At my previous job I definitely stopped by the farmer's market every now and then, but now, as it's summertime, and I work literally 50 feet from the market and walk through it everyday, I find it something that's become a regular fixture in my food buying.

I really wanted to join a CSA this year, as I saw all the fun Minneapolis people had last summer. However, I wasn't aware you apparently have to sign up months in advance. Unfortunately, all the fun was sold out in the ones near us. Boo. Oh well. However, I still have the market, and have pledged to get at the very least all of our produce from this lively greenmarket each week. At least for the summer. Then we'll see how long I can fair on potatoes and apples.

I've also been reading The Omnivore's Dilemma these past few weeks, and have been completely fascinated by it. I highly recommend it if you haven't read it already. I hardly ever read non-fiction, but this reads like a novel. I am equally horrified and amazed and what goes into the food industry and every thing surrounding it in this country. It has also made me give some serious thought to how and where and what I want to spend our food budget on.

So, in honor of my new effort to try and feed Alex and I in a more environmentally friendly, sustainable way, and being inspired by Kate over at Les Images Petites, I decided I was going to fix an entire meal from local ingredients. Hence, our lovely Friday night dinner. Although I didn't get things like olive oil and flour from local sources, everything else that I could I purchased from the Farmer's market during my lunch on Friday afternoon, so it was fresh as could be! I have to admit, I like the fact that scallops are local here! That's one thing for sure NYC has over the midwest!

The Menu:

DSC_0094

Fresh pesto with an organic french baguette, tomato slices, and fresh hand made cheese.

DSC_0072A

DSC_0089B
I would also like to note that I am addicted to these tomatoes. The vendor is an adorable little Asian woman who put out free samples a few of weeks ago. I had one, and then four, and have bought her tomatoes virtually every Monday and Friday since. They are amazing.

DSC_0079
My pretty fresh herbs! Basil, Thyme, and Rosemary.

DSC_0074

Some tasty Cabernet from a local Long Island winery.

DSC_0103

Mixed greens with fancy cheese, tomato, and homemade lemon-dijon vinaigrette.

DSC_0105A

Scallops prepared in olive oil, butter, garlic, and shallots, oven roasted potatoes with fresh thyme and rosemary, and steamed broccoli

DSC_0106

DSC_0112A

Shortcake with whipped cream and juicy strawberries and raspberries for dessert

All in all very delicious, and actually pretty simple to make! I will definitely be attempting more all local dinners!


As a side note, while we were cooking, a thunderstorm was pouring outside. About half way through baking the shortcake, it stopped, and the sky was absolutely amazing. Alex and I both ran outside for a few minutes to take some some photos and admire the few.

DSC_0095
This is straight out of the camera. The sky was that colorful!

DSC_0098

1 comment:

Alex said...

Cool! Looks great :)