Thursday, June 18, 2009

My Secret Love Affair

I'm not going to lie. It's not really that secret. But it's love. That part, I know.

DSC_0024

I walk through the Union Square GreenMarket almost every day on my way to work. And a few weeks ago, as I was strolling on my merry way, I noticed the berries. The succulent, beautiful, fresh juicy strawberries. The first day or two they had a stand or two of them, and they were just much too pricey.

However, last week, the price came down and nearly every stand has them on the table. As I passed by one of the stands, I could actually smell them, fresh yummy strawberry smells. I literally walked past, and then turned around, and they had me. I bought a box, went up to work, and accidentally finished all of them before noon. Opps!

DSC_0023

I've had strawberries before, good ones even, but I haven't had fresh from the farm berries before. (Now, all you kids who are cool enough to have picked berries actually from a farm yourselves, well, you're just much cooler then me.) These are seriously the best strawberries ever, and I love them. And I bought more, and now am addicted. Thus, the strawberry shortcake.

DSC_0029

I have to say, this was a mighty tasty recipe, and was pretty simple as well. I just had to make hard boiled eggs, which, oddly, as I hate them, have never made before. I didn't do anything to the berries either, just sliced them and threw them on top. I also used the leftover cream to make real whip cream, which was delicious. And reminded me of my grandmother. She's the only one I can think of who I've seen actually whip cream, and I have so many fond memories of baking and making real whip cream at Grandma's.

No comments: