Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Crockpot Chicken

This is a post I've been meaning to do for awhile, but haven't quite gotten around to. I've recently made my first ever whole chicken, and did so in the crockpot.

So easy! Both of these recipes were incredibly easy, made a ton of food, and had leftovers to make soup the next day that lasted two meals at least!

The first one was Lemon Rosemary Chicken from 365 Crockpot.

P3110126
Sorry, point and shoot camera.

This was good, however, I'd say it was too lemon-y for me. The lemon also made the soup I made with the leftovers have a somewhat funky flavor. Alex liked it better then the second recipe, but I don't think I'd make this again.

The second chicken was made up by me.

One whole chicken, rinsed and cleaned.
1-2 onions, chopped
A handful of chopped celery
A bunch of garlic cloves
A splash of chicken broth
A little melted butter
All the spices you like: garlic powder, sea salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika, rosemary, oregano, etc.

DSC_0029

Chop the onions and celery and place them on the bottom of your crockpot. Place the chicken on top of the onion. Brush with some melted butter. Stuff your chicken with some onion and a bunch of garlic cloves. Also stick garlic cloves where ever you can stick them on the bird. Splash just a bit of chicken broth, sprinkle the bird with your favorite spices. Cook on low for 8ish hours. Done!

DSC_0036

DSC_0042

The next day, take your leftover meat, minus the bones, and create a fabulous stew. This can be done on the stove top or in the crockpot. I made ours with the chicken meat, lentils, some rice, chopped carrots, celery, potatoes, and corn. Cover with about 3/4 broth - 2/3 broth and some water.

DSC_0044

Add spices such as garlic, oregano, and a little sea salt, whatever makes you happy. Simmer until the vegetables are cooked through, or in the crockpot on low for until you get home. Yum!

DSC_0046

No comments: