Sunday, March 29, 2009

Guatemala: Antigua

So, way back in probably January or so, I received one of my weekly emails from Travelzoo, alerting me to their Top 20 Deals of the week. In the email there was an amazing deal to London, though it didn't end up being so amazing after taxes. However, this email got me inspired, and off I went to look for deals to Guatemala; somewhere Alex and I had considered going for they honeymoon. Unbelievably, we found super cheap tickets for the week of Alex's spring break. Perhaps even more unbelievably, Alex agreed to go, despite being in a PhD program! WooHoo! Let the countdown begin.

Now, what some of you may or may not know, is that the day before we were scheduled to leave, I was informed my job was being eliminated. Not only mine, but two other regular staff, all part time staff, and then two weeks later, my boss also lost her position. Boo. Not really what you want to happen the day before you leave on vacation.

However, I think it will be for the best. Alex and I still managed to have a wonderful trip, we just dined a little more frugally then normal. It was also good for me to have a week to think, relax, and not be worried about life in the city. I'm also now looking forward to finding a position I truly enjoy, and having a chance to explore grad school options, getting ready for my race in June, photography, and just plain life. Perhaps I can rid myself of those dark circles under my eyes once and for all!

But for now, Guatemala!

So, it turned out just getting to the airport was an adventure. Our flight left from Newark at about 8:30 in the morning. That doesn't sound too awful, but translated to us leaving our apartment in Bushwick at 4:30am. Ish. However, I have to say, it was all worth it upon seeing 80's man. I WISH I had a picture to show you. This guy had on, neon pink and green zebra printed hammer pant zubbas, high tops, a neon hot pink windbreakers, even had the classic 80's haircut with the shaved lines on the side. It was glorious. Talk about a blast from the past.

Anyway.... our flight to Guatemala was uneventful until the end. We hit some awful turbulence. I HATE, hate, hate turbulence. It scared the crap out of me, and Alex and I always seem to hit the worst of it. Right. So, plane is dropping and rolling all over the place. I'm white knuckle grabbing my seat, when, out of nowhere, I hear the 3 year old sitting across the aisle from me, "Weeeeeeeeeeee!!" I couldn't help but laugh. I, the 27 year old adult, was terrified, the little kid next to me thought this was the most fun ride since Disneyworld. Awesome.

We arrived in Guatemala City after our Disneyland ride subsided, and then found ourselves a shuttle to Antigua. I've read Guatemala City is fairly awful, and we tried to find a public bus to Antigua, but were told the city bus to get to the bus station was too dangerous. Shoot. So, we acted like the other tourists and set off on a shuttle. This was actually pretty nice and quick, and dropped us off at the hostel of our choice in Antigua. We stayed at Posada Juan Ocag.

DSC_0010
Our hostel had a cute little garden in the middle.

After getting settled and taking a brief nap, we forged out into the city of Antigua. It was beautiful. Slightly touristy, however, really quaint and laid back. SO much what I was needing after life in New York. There were no sirens, or garbage, or subways. Just cobblestones, colorful little houses, and towering volcanoes everywhere you looked. What more could you ask for?

Tomorrow, more Antigua adventures, including the most awful bike ride EVER! For now, enjoy some photos!

DSC_0001

DSC_0204
The view from the street outside our hostel.

DSC_0048

DSC_0088a

DSC_0055

DSC_0019

DSC_0043

DSC_0012edit

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Nicki! You wrote me over a week ago after visiting my blog, susiestraveltales.blogspot.com. You were asking about leading with Backroads, sorry it's taken me so long to get back to me. If you want to chat, shoot me up at susie@thegaskins.com. Ciao!