Monday, March 23, 2009

Enchiladas!

After seeing Erin's post on Black Bean Enchiladas, I was inspired to make some of my own. I also followed Annie's Eats Recipe for the most part, however, I also grilled up some leftover chicken breast, about a breast and a half, to add to the mix as well. I really liked what the chicken added to texture and flavor of the enchiladas. I also used about half cheddar cheese and half pepper jack cheese instead of Monterey Jack.

Enchiladas


Also, due to my current addiction of making things from scratch, I decided I should whip up some enchilada sauce of my own, rather then grabbing a can from the store. This ended up being cheaper and super delicious! I used this Recipezaar recipe to start but tweaked it just a bit.

My sauce was as follows:

3 tablespoons chili powder
4 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon cocoa powder (I never in a million years would have thought to add cocoa powder to enchiladas, but it works!)
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon cumin
2 cups water
3/4 or so cup chicken broth
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce

I kind of screwed up the directions on accident, but it still worked out. Basically, mix all the dry ingredients. Slowly add the water while stirring. Add the tomato sauce. (I think you're supposed to add this later, but I didn't, so oh well). Simmer over medium heat stirring as needed until the sauce thickens. Pour over the enchiladas! Enjoy!

This sauce was delicious. It was almost like a mole sauce. It had a rich, smoky, slightly spicy flavor and worked wonderfully on these enchiladas. We served them with a dollop of sour cream. Perfect. Alex said this was one of his favorite dishes yet! (Aside from fake-out take-out, of course.)

Enchiladas

(PS. Yes, I know this picture is focused backwards, or really should have been taken the other way around, it annoys me too. Opps. Hunger will do that to you!)

Also, I super promise Guatemala pictures and trip update will be posted soon!

1 comment:

Erin said...

I like the backwards photo! These were sooo good :) Even better with your homemade sauce I'm sure!