Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A tasty fall salad!

After making the delicious butternut squash soup the other night, I realized I still had half a squash that I needed to figure out what to do with. Realizing I couldn't make anything too major, and, having the heat back on in our apartment, I decided a nice salad would be the way to go.

This was delicious and easy, and a great kinda fancy and fun way for us to get our greens.

DSC_3875

Butternut Squash Salad
For 2 people

1/2 smallish butternut squash
Chopped walnuts or pecans (I used a bit of both)
1 pear
Fresh Arugula, a few good handfuls
1.5 tsp Olive oil
.5 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 or so tsp dijon mustard
dash of sea salt
thyme, rosemary, more olive oil
Goat Cheese

1. Peel your squash as best you can, and dice into small cubes. Toss in a bowl with a good coating of olive oil, a few dashes of dried thyme, rosemary, and sea salt.
2. Place on a foil lined baking sheet in a 400 degree oven. Bake until tender, about 20-30 minutes.
3. When the squash is done, mix in a bowl with the arugula, thinly sliced pear, and nuts and dressing.
4. To make the dressing, mix your olive oil and vinegar in a 3-1 ratio. I did 3 one half tsp oil to one half tsp vinegar. Add a bit of mustard and a sprinkle of salt, whisk with a fork. Pour over the salad, toss to mix. Serve on a plate with a few pieces of goat cheese.

YUM!

No comments: