Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Hot & Sour Stir Fry with Baked Tofu

So I'm about half-way through reading the book that started this vegetarian kick, The China Study. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend giving it a shot. He has some pretty convincing arguments backed up by a crap-ton of actual scientific research. I'm still a fan of all good things in moderation, and will probably always eat some animal protein, so long as I know where it came from. I mean, I had some pretty awesome bacon chocolate chip (yes, seriously) pancakes this weekend. However, if I can make our kitchen mostly meatless during the week, I'm keen on that idea.

In any case, this stir fry is super delicious, and super quick to whip up. We used fresh green beans from the farmers market which were awesome. I also used to not be much for tofu, however, baking it with the marinade makes it mighty tasty.

Hot & Sour Stir Fry with Baked Tofu
Adapted fromMoosewood Restaurant, Simple Suppers for the Weeknight Table

For the Tofu:
1 package firm tofu (about 16 oz)
1 TBS canola oil
1 TBS sesame oil
3 TBS soy sauce
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grate
1 garlic clove, finely minced

Slice the tofu into thin rectangles and place on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Whisk the other ingredients together and then brush over the tofu. Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes.

Stir Fry:
1/2 pound green beans (use fresh green beans!)
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes (I used cherry tomatoes as that's what I had)
4 cups grated cabbage
1 grated carrot
1/2 bell pepper sliced thinly
1 TBS grated ginger root
1.5 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp Chinese chile paste
1/2 tsp spicy chile sauce
2 TBS soy sauce
1 TBS white vinegar
1 tsp corn starch
canola oil for frying

Have everything prepped and ready to go before you start to stir fry. In a small bowl combine the ginger, sugar, chile sauce and paste, soy sauce and vinegar, then stir in the corn starch and a 1 TBS of water.

Heat a TBS or 2 of oil in a wok over high heat. Through in the cabbage, carrots and green beans. Fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and pepper, stir fry a few more minutes. Pour in the sauce and stir fry another minute or so to coat the veggies.

Serve over rice or noodles. Top with baked tofu.

Enjoy!

DSC_3458

1 comment:

Sonja said...

This is so great! I love that you are reading the China study - we are too :) Have you seen Forks over Knives?