Saturday, May 7, 2011

Skillet Lasagna

Things have gotten pretty crazy around here this spring and I feel bad saying I haven't quite had the time to make anything new or extra exciting in awhile.

However, I saw this post come up in my reader a few days ago for skillet lasagna, and I thought I might just have to make it this weekend. This recipe isn't pretty or fancy, but it's pretty quick, easy, and it turned out super delicious!

I ended up changing the recipe up a bit, but kept the basic concept. I also made the no knead focaccia. Though I think my yeast was too old as it didn't really rise well. Oh well, it was still tasty!

DSC_4909

Skillet Lasagna

1 yellow onion, finely chopped
5 cloves of garlic, minced
olive oil
3 oz of tomato paste
1 15oz can of diced tomatoes
1/2 cup of red wine
1/2 cup water
Spices (parsley, dried basil, oregano, crushed red pepper about 1 tsp or so each, a little less red pepper, a little more basil)
pinch of salt
1 lb grass fed ground beef
handful of spinach
5 oz ricotta
Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (1/3 to 1/2 cup)
handful of basil
1/2 lb of farfalle pasta

Saute onion and garlic in olive oil in a large skillet with ground beef. Once the ground beef is browned, drain excess fats. Add tomato paste and wine. Stir and saute a few more minutes.

Add diced tomatoes and spices, salt and water. Bring to a simmer and cover for 7-10 minutes while the pasta is cooked to package directions. Drain the pasta and add to the sauce along with a handful of spinach. Mix until spinach is wilted.

In a small bowl, add ricotta and parmigiano and blend. Drop small spoonfuls of cheese blend into the skillet and then cover with grated cheese. Cover and simmer until cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes. Top with freshly torn basil.

DSC_4917

Enjoy!

DSC_4919

No comments: