Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Quinoa with a side of Summer

So many lovely things show up at the farmers market in the summer. One of my most favorite is fresh basil. It sits next to my desk and just smells so delicious all day. I'm always on the lookout for new ways to use it, and pesto is usually a great way to do so.

I saw this recipe on A Crafty Lass a few weeks back a starred it in my google reader. I love cooking with quinoa, and this would be a new way to use pesto along with some summer sweet corn, so I knew it'd be something I'd like to make.

I whipped this it up tonight with a few alterations, and it was delish! Super easy, pretty quick, and we even had leftovers after Alex and I had seconds, score!

Quinoa with Summer Vegetables, Shrimp and Pesto

1 cup dry quinoa, prepared per package directions, (usually 2:1 water to quinoa, boil, simmer covered until water is gone) A little over 2 cups prepared.
1 shallot, finely chopped
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, chopped
1/3-1/2 lb shrimp
2 small potatoes
cherry tomatoes
1/2 green bell pepper
4 ears sweet corn
olive oil
Seasoning for potatoes... thyme, rosemary, pepper...


Chop potatoes into cubes and place in a skillet with olive oil over medium high heat. Add spices to your liking... I went with Thyme and rosemary. Fry stirring/flipping with a spatula until browned and a bit crispy on the outside, 8-10 minutes or so.

In another skillet saute the shallot, garlic and onion with the shrimp and olive oil until the shrimp is cooked. I added a bit of crushed red pepper for some flavor. Pour off any excess water if your shrimp were frozen. Slice the corn from the cob and add to the shrimp. Add the 1/2 green pepper. Cook for a few minutes, then add the tomatoes and fold in the quinoa.

Pesto:
Fresh Basil
Parmesan Cheese
Garlic
Olive Oil
Walnuts or pine nuts

Spin in a food processor until smooth.

Serve the quinoa mixture on a plate, top with the fried potatoes and then drizzle with pesto.

DSC_0675

Enjoy!

No comments: