Saturday, June 12, 2010

Garlic Scapes!

One of my favorite parts of the farmers market is getting to try new fun veggies. I remember garlic scapes from last year, but never got around to trying them before. This year I made sure to scoop some up right away.

DSC_9970

These curly cues are packed with delicious flavor and make a pretty tasty meal. They are actually the tops from the garlic bulbs you probably have in your kitchen.

DSC_9978

I decided on making garlic scape pesto pasta with shrimp and some other local veggies.

DSC_9982

To make the pesto, I chopped up the scapes into smaller pieces and dumped them in a food processor with walnuts, Parmesan, and olive oil and then blended until smooth. It wasn't ever as smooth as normal basil pesto, but close enough.

Before I added the pesto, I sauteed the shrimp with a cut up scape, some actual garlic, some lemon and lime juice and a bit of white wine and butter. Then added my veggies, cooked pasta and mixed everything up with the pesto. This was very, very garlicy, so proceed with caution if you're not a garlic lover, but overall a tasty dish! Good with extra cheese on top for sure!

DSC_9990

No comments: