Sunday, March 21, 2010

A Tropical Sunday!

This weekend saw some absolutely gorgeous weather in Brooklyn. Spring, at least for the time being, has definitely sprung!

I knew I wanted to make something fun for dinner on Sunday, and a recipe calling for pineapple caught my eye in my google reader. I know I preach eating local, but sometimes a little taste of the tropics, at least every now and then, can really compliment the sunshine!

I crafted Salmon with Pineapple Salsa using this recipe from Epicurious, just subbing the fish instead of chicken. It turned out beautifully! I think our salmon may have been a tad over cooked, but otherwise, very bright and just a tad spicy from the jalapeno. I used fresh rather then canned.

As a side, I opted for Pineapple Fried Rice with Tofu and Sesame Broccoli, both from the Moosewood Simple Suppers cookbook.

These complimented the salmon perfectly and were delicious! A note on the rice, I halved the recipe and we still had leftover, but the original recipe is listed below.

DSC_6453

Pineapple Fried Rice with Tofu
Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers Cookbook

1/2 Cake firm Tofu
1/3 C Soy Sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
vegetable oil
3 garlic cloves minced
1 TBS grated peeled ginger rood
1/2 tsp Chinese chili paste
1 bell pepper, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 scallions minced (I left this out, we didn't have any)
2 C diced pineapple (canned or fresh)
4 C cooked rice

Cut the tofu in 1/2 inch cubes and place in a bowl. Pour the soy sauce and sesame oil in the bowl and stir gently. Set aside.

In a wok or large skillet, heat the oil. Add the giner, garlic, and chili paste and stir fry on medium for a minute. Add the veggies and tofu with marinade and continue to stir fry under vegetables are tender, 3-5 minutes. (I went a bit less as I like them crispier.) Add the pineapple and rice and stir fry until everything is heated through. Serve topped with toasted cashews if desired.

Sesame Broccoli
Moosewood Simple Suppers

1 tsp vinegar
2 tsp sesame oil
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp salt
1 bunch broccoli

Steam the broccoli as you normally would. Whisk together ingridients. Toss the dressing with broccoli. Serve.

No comments: