Saturday, February 21, 2009

Crockpot Thursday: Moroccan Lentil Soup



So, for awhile I've been on somewhat of a soup kick. It's just what I'm craving after walking around in the cold. (I know I can't complain about it being cold in NYC after living in Minneapolis, but whatever). Lately I've been really wanting to figure out how to make Moroccan Harira Soup. This was the stuff my friend Emily and I feasted on nearly every day in Marrakech during our around the world adventure. It was always a little different, no matter where we went. But it was always warm and delicious, eaten with big wooden ladles.

So, when I saw this recipe for Moroccan Lentil Soup, I thought maybe, maybe it'd be right. Alas, it was not my Harira. However, what it was, was super tasty. And easy. And cheap. And super ridiculously healthy. You can't really go wrong there.

I sort of followed the recipe, however, I am just getting used to the fact that I like beans, so, no need to push it. I only used garbonzos and lentils, no pinto beans. I also added a few extra cloves of garlic, because I think, generally, that's always a good idea.

Also, I never really measure vegetables, so I probably used more then it called for. I chopped up probably 4 or 5 carrots, 3 or 4 stalks of celery, and a whole medium yellow onion.

I didn't have Garam Masala or nutmeg, so these got left out. I've seriously looked for Garam Masala all over the place and can not find it anywhere. I am beginning to think it's made up. Instead I added a little extra cayenne, and a bit of oregano and paprika, just because.

This stuff cooked up beautifully and smelled great. We ate it with some French bread and it was delicious. Warm and very flavorful, but not too spicy. There was more then plenty to fill Alex and I up and have leftovers for lunch for a couple days. Success!

And just for the heck of it, you can enjoy our Moroccan soup with a little taste of actual Morocco!

Merzuga Dunes at sunrise. One of the most incredible landscapes I've ever seen. 

Snake charmers in Djemaa el Fna, Marrakech. Yes, there seriously were snake charmers. And acrobats, and everything else you could imagine. This place was a circus like no other. 

Sunrise on the dunes. 

Riding camels into the desert. 

1 comment:

Erin said...

You should be able to find garam masala in the bulk spice bins at the grocery store - your best bet would be at Whole Foods. We got ours at Rainbow in St. Paul, so I am sure it is somewhere in NYC!

If you can't find it there, google "garam masala recipe" and you can find instructions for making your own!